There’s something special about traveling with your kids, no matter how young or old they are. It’s one of the best ways to make amazing family memories outside of your normal, everyday lives … and the U.S. is home to some of the best family vacation destinations!
Sometimes the hardest part of planning a family trip is figuring out where to go. Keep in mind that some places offer better activities for children than others. Luckily, we are here to help you plan a vacation that you’ll always remember! Here are our top five favorite U.S. destinations to travel to with kids.
Walt Disney World®: Orlando, Florida
There’s no better place to take the kids than The Happiest Place on Earth™! With four theme parks, two water parks, and rides for kids (and kids at heart) of all ages, this is the ideal family destination.
Best time to visit: September to early December for good weather and shorter lines.
- Find everyone’s favorite places in the parks! This article lists the best rides and attractions in each park based on age group, to help you decide your plan of attack for each day.
- Eat and shop for souvenirs at Disney Springs™.
- Take a trip around the world in Epcot™.
Where to stay: Disney World is home to some of the most entertaining, kid-friendly hotels in the world, all while being close to the parks. Whether you’re looking for relaxation, adventure, or culture, this list provides some of the top hotels in the area.
Yellowstone National Park
With adventure, history, and tons of wildlife around every corner, Yellowstone National Park is a great place to get outside and experience nature as a family.
Best time to visit: April—May or September—October for smaller crowds.
- Visit the geysers! There are over 10,000 geysers and hot springs in the area, but this list narrows it down to the top eight to visit.
- Go hiking on Wrath Falls Trail, an easy 1-mile (round-trip) hike to a breathtaking waterfall.
- If you have older kids, take them on a horseback ride. Yellowstone provides both guided and private trips, whether you want to go for a day or overnight.
Where to stay: There are nine lodges and hotels in the park with over 2,000 rooms! They are all open from spring to late fall, but only two are open if you’re planning to travel to Yellowstone in the winter. Take a look at this list for availability.
Take a family trip to paradise! Oahu, Hawaii, provides the perfect mix of sun, sand, sea, and all the tourist attractions you could possibly hope for on a vacation.
Best time to visit: Any time of year for great weather (it’s Hawaii, after all!).
- Take the kids snorkeling at Hanauma Bay.
- Go for a hike up the Makapu’u Point Lighthouse Trail. The trail is ideal for all ability levels and leads to a stunning view overlooking the ocean.
- Plan a day on the North Shore and visit the best shrimp trucks on the island.
Where to stay: There are some beautiful places to stay all over the island, but it’s always fun to be close to, or right on, Waikiki Beach. With tons of shopping and restaurants, this is a central location for all the fun family activities! Get more info on some of the best hotels in this area here.
Washington D.C. provides an educational experience for both you and your kids on history, culture, and so much more!
Best time to visit: September—November or March—May for smaller crowds.
- Take a trip to the zoo … but not just any zoo. The Smithsonian’s National Zoo and Conservation Biology Institute has over 1,800 animals and over 300 species.
- Visit the International Spy Museum (ideal for kids under 10 years old). Visitors even get the chance to put their skills to the test on their very own spy mission!
- Visit the Smithsonian Museums! They are linked throughout the city and one pass works for all of them.
- Go to the Botanic Garden, complete with beautiful flowers and views!
Where to stay: If you’re looking for a fun hotel experience in Washington D.C., look no further than Hotel Madera. It has bunk beds for kids, giant versions of Connect 4, and even goldfish that you can rent during your stay! Learn more about this ultimate kid-friendly hotel here.
Even if you’ve traveled to these locations before, there’s something so special about getting to experience them through your child’s eyes for the first time. Take a trip to some of our favorite U.S. destinations as a family … you won’t regret it!
Looking for ways to have fun with your kids at home? Check out our post for ideas!